Monday, September 15, 2014

"My Trifecta" - Joanie's Story












 

How did I end up at 44 diagnosed with stage IV ovarian, peritoneal, endometrial cancers: all primary, what I call a trifecta?

I had debulking surgery followed by continual chemotherapy and now 4 years later I have tried 21 different chemo protocol combos to keep the cancer stable. My message to you is simple, listen to your body. In 2009, I had heavy periods, family history of ovarian cancer, general gastro issues and most were explained with irritable bowel or perimenopause. I was the healthiest I had ever been. In December of 2009, I had a mammogram which showed enlarged axillary lymph nodes. This doctor felt a biopsy was necessary. The nodes came back as reactive. I questioned, reactive to what? More visits to the gynecologist who failed to do a transvaginal ultrasound and a ca125 blood test even though I had a family history of ovarian cancer. I insisted something was not quite right. Finally, my internist heard me and ordered a PET scan for “peace of mind”. Unfortunately, this was not the case and the radiologist mis-read my scan as lung cancer. I met with a thoracic surgeon who explained the surgery which included cracking my ribs etc…but said that if I was his wife, he would be more concerned with the pelvic area and recommended I see a gynecological oncologist/surgeon. It was now March 2010 and I met with numerous surgeons and ended up having my surgery at UCLA where I am now treated.

I cannot say I would have or should have done anything different.

My situation is what it is. My chronic condition of living with cancer is something that I have accepted, but not quietly. How have I continued for 4 years on chemo? I have a great support system of family and friends. I have a wonderful husband and a 12 year old son who motivate me every day to stay strong. I refuse to give up.

My philosophy is find the sunshine in every day and NEGU (never ever give up) #NEGU.

I have continued to have an amazing quality of life with some ups and downs. I have had chemo in Waikiki, went on a cruise to Greece with hand and foot syndrome caused by Doxil, and went on a cruise to the Caribbean, plus numerous other vacations with my family.
I encourage you to spread the word about gynecological cancers. Listen to your body and know the symptoms. They appear as whispers, but turn into screams. Don’t ignore the signs!
- Joanie Triestman


Read more about Joanie’s story: http://joanietri.wordpress.com/

Thank you Joanie for sharing your story and advice with all of us. 

We are saddened to report that Joanie passed away in May 2015. We are happy that she shared her story and insights with the #gyncsm community.

Dee
#gyncsm co-moderator

Read another survivor story: Tina, ovarian cancer survivor

No comments:

Post a Comment