Some responses to our questions may be found below.
T1: What vaccines are available before you develop cancer to reduce your risk? Are there different types?
- T1 The #HPV vaccine is cancer prevention for six cancers-cervical, vaginal, vulvar, penile, & oropharyngeal. #gyncsm
- T1: Cancers that are caused by viruses can be vaccinated against. HPV vaccine protects against cervical and other HPV-related cancers. The HepB vaccine can help protect against liver cancer
- the #HPVvaccine has been available since 2006 -- initially it offered protection against HPV16 and HPV18, the types of HPV that causes 70% of #cervicalcancer #gyncsm
- the FDA approved Gardasil 9 in 2014 -- which protects against another 20% of the most dangerous subtypes of #HPV #gyncsm
- T2 Cervical, vaginal, vulvar, anal, penile, & oropharyngeal cancers are caused by HPV. Every year in the US, HPV causes 33,700 cancers in men and women
- #HPV can cause #cervicalcancer and some types of ear-nose-and-throat, vulvar, vaginal, penile, and anal cancer. The CDC recently release a report about trends in HPV-related cancers. #gyncsm cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/6…
- T2 -- interestingly, in recent years oropharyngeal cancers are now the most common type of HPV-related cancer. #HPV #gyncsm
- T2 The HPV vaccine protects against an HPV infection-persistent infection can lead to cell abnormalities & cancer.
- T2: It takes a long time for a persistent HPV infection to cause cervical disease and pre-cancer. The vaccine helps keep the body from being infected after exposure. Approx 80% of people are exposed to HPV at some point in their life
- It's better to get vaccinated before exposure to #HPV - that way your body is already immune!
- A2 from @cochranecollab Among women aged 15 to 26 years, vaccines reduced the risk of cervical precancer associated with HPV16/18 from 341 to 157 per 10,000. HPV vaccination reduced also the risk for any precancer lesions from 559 to 391 per 10,000.
- T3 The HPV vaccine is recommended for all girls & boys who are 11 or 12 years old. The series can be started as young as 9 years. #gyncsm
- T3 -- currently the @CDCgov suggest offering vaccination for boys and girls starting at age 9, and recommends it starting at age 11-12.
- T3 -- however, in October 2018 the @US_FDA has approved the use of Gardasil 9 for men and women up to age 45. #hpvvaccine #hpv #gyncsm https://www.statnews.com/2018/10/06/fda-expands-hpv-vaccine-use-to-age-45/
- And Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program offers vaccines ( including HPV) at no cost for eligible children cdc.gov/vaccines/progr…
- Yes -- for individuals who start the vaccine series younger than age 15, two shots of the #hpvvaccine is recommended.
- The @HPVRoundtable has a bunch of great parent materials.
- You can also check out yesterday's tweet blast by @StopHPVCancer for some great HPV resource links
- T4: There are cancer vaccines that can be created the patient's own tumor! They have been explored in #ovariancancer as a maintenance strategy after primary treatment #gyncsm
- Specific #HPVVaccines are being combined with #immunotherapy to treat #cervicalcancer and head and neck cancers @MDAndersonNews
- T4: "Cancer treatment vaccines boost the immune system's ability to recognize and destroy antigens. Often, cancer cells have certain molecules called cancer-specific antigens on their surface that healthy cells do not have." https://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/how-cancer-treated/immunotherapy-and-vaccines/what-are-cancer-vaccines
- T4: Some cancer vaccines are made from the person's tumor sample for them. Other cancer vaccines target specific cancer antigens and are given to people whose tumors have those antigens on the surface of the tumor cells.
- T4 this article talks of the steps producing the vaccine Provenge for prostate cancer and examples of types of cancer vaccines. #gyncsm historyofvaccines.org/content/articl…
- I found 15 clinical trials when I searched on clinicaltrial.gov for ovarian cancer vaccines https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=vaccine&cond=Ovarian+Cancer&Search=Apply&recrs=a&age_v=&gndr=&type=&rslt=
- Results from one #ovariancancer trial last spring via @ocrahope ocrahope.org/2018/04/vaccin…
- Cancer Vaccines in Ovarian Cancer: How Can We Improve? gives overview of research being done in this area in 2016 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5344251/
- T5 -- to me, it seems that the most progress with vaccines as a treatment strategy has been in #ovariancancer. There certainly is a lot of interest in this area given the innovation in #immunotherapy #gyncsm cancertherapyadvisor.com/gynecologic-ca
Be sure to join us next month on February 13, 2019 at 9pm ET for our chat "Getting Into a Clinical Trial".
You can also join us for a collaborative chat across all #cancer communities presented by #LCSM this Thurs Jan 10th at 8pm ET/5pm PT on "Immunotherapy: What Patients Need to Know". More here: https://lcsmchat.com/2019/01/06/lcsm-chat-2019-01-06-immunotherapy-what-patients-need-to-know/
And on January 16 at 9pm ET join the #CervivorChat (@IamCervivor) for support and discussion about HPV and cervical cancer.
See you there!
Co-moderator #gyncsm Chat
Trends in HPV
Hepatitis B Vaccination : What Everybody Should Know
Recap from our #gyncsm Feb 2017 chat on HPV and Cervical Cancer
HPV vaccine: A smart way to protect kids from cancer @jburzawa
American Academy of Pediatrics - HPV
Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program
NCI-designated Cancer Centers Urge HPV Vaccination for the Prevention of Cancer http://www.cinj.org/sites/cinj/files/documents/NCI_HPV_Consensus_Statement_012716.pdf
Phase 2 Trial on HPV Indications
Cancer Vaccines in Ovarian Cancer: How Can We Improve?