Monday, May 1, 2017
Your Voice has Power- World Ovarian Cancer Day May 8, 2017
World Ovarian Cancer day is May 8, 2017. The theme of this year's day is Your Voice Has Power.
We can all spread the word and help others understand how ovarian cancer can affect women worldwide.
"Ovarian cancer is diagnosed annually in nearly a quarter of a million women globally, and is responsible for 140,000 deaths each year. Statistics show that just 45% of women with ovarian cancer are likely to survive for five years compared to up to 89% of women with breast cancer. "
In addition here are five key facts women throughout the world should know.
1. All women are at risk of ovarian cancer.
2. Awareness of the early warning signs of the disease could save lives.
3. Diagnosis at an early stage vastly improves a woman’s chance of survival.
4. Ovarian cancer is often diagnosed at a late stage.
5. Many women mistakenly believe the cervical smear test (Pap test) will detect ovarian cancer.
Source: World Ovarian Cancer Day website http://ovariancancerday.org/.
You may read our co-moderator Dee's story as well as other survivor stories on the World Ovarian Cancer website (http://ovariancancerday.org/personal-stories/dee/)
If you are on Twitter, help spread the word about World Ovarian Cancer Day. Tweet with the hashtags #WOCD #OvarianCancerDay to join the conversation.
Dee and Christina