You may find the transcript here and the chat analytics here.
We began our chat by remembering our friend and supporter of #gyncsm, Jody Schoger, #bcsm co-founder. She was an amazing advocate.
Topic Questions / Sample Response Tweets:
T1:Do you research new treatments and studies online? Do you follow scientific meetings like #SGOmtg, #AACR16 and #ASCO16?
- I participate in twitter to inform patients and families of key findings from meetings using #SGOMtg #ASCO16 #AACR16
- A caution in keeping up with research is how long it can take for studies to lead to any change in practice guidelines
- Plus I want to be prepared with what options I will have if I recur again
- I find @ASCOPost emails useful.
T2:GOG 252 did not support a previous study which showed IP chemo benefit (tough treatment for many). How does this change things?
- #ASCO16 session on GOG252 Walker: Median PFS all three arms GOG252 similar
- There is still a benefit for IP chemo - demonstrated in 3 large randomized trials We need to understand who benefits most
- Yes, Dr Gourley mentioned 3 Pos studies(GOG 104,114,172), 1 neg(252)
- I feel more confident telling patients that if they want the benefits of GOG172, we have to at least try the same regimen
- #ASCO16 session on GOG252 Mackay-“unresolved issues”
T3:In the hot topics of immunotherapy, precision medicine, and genetics, which #SGOmtg/ #AACR16/ #ASCO16 research excited you?
- https://t.co/DfjMW5ZPwP adv endometrial cancer : everolimus, letrozole,metformin showed clinical benefit in ph 2study
- I'm very excited about the interest & research on hereditary cancers and how to use this to guide targeted therapy-new options!
- Pembrolizumab:well tolerated, showed antitumor activity pts w/ PD-L1+ adv cervical squamous cell cancer.https://t.co/P5KsDdtTUA
- Precision medicine for Gyn disease is finally taking root. It not only bevucizumab anymore
- Kurian: Genes mutations in #ovca article https://t.co/O1mgn5zqoc
- Liquid biopsies (look for circulating tumor DNA in blood) https://t.co/PUROem0e7N 4 screening and during treatment talked about
- There was a clear theme of trying to find out who are the responders to a given Rx - understanding the pts that benefit the most
T4: What studies reported at #ASCO16 in palliative care, survivorship, and psychosocial research could help gyn cancer survivors?
- The data on early involvement of palliative care should be able to be extrapolated to gyn cancer patients and caregivers
- QOL may predict survival in recurrent #ovca @ASCOpost -https://t.co/te0NvFAkPJ
- Real studies on improving chemo induced. Neuropathy with PT
- Qol: older long term #ovca survivors better QOL than younger https://t.co/OGKtr3t0oi
- It was great to see presentations beyond standard chemo treatment. ASCO. It's not just about chemo
T5: As "patient-centered" research becomes more accepted, what do you see as the role of the patient in future cancer research?
- Been great to see White House precision medicine efforts. workshop this week: Engaging participants as partners in research
- Let's start with adding quality of life components to all studies.
- Being more patient-centered means looking beyond overall survival endpoints. Also need patients in design of studies to reach.
- This from #SGOmtg patient-centered research: Accepting treatment w/ Side Effects change as Goals Change https://t.co/xhY9Wg1FRn
- Patients see so much in the practical side of clinical trials that trial designers don't think about.
- I would love to see advocates on irb. And involved in trial design
Our next #gyncsm chat is on Wednesday July13th at 9pmET when we will discuss Spirituality and Quality of Life with guest @MeredithGould of #hlthsp. We hope you can join us.
Remember patients and caregivers are invited to continue our discussion on the Smart Patients platform at https://t.co/dFCf1Mcahw.
See you next month!
Co-founder #gyncsm Community and Chat
@SGO_org Society of Gynecologic Oncology: #SGOmtg Abstracts and Late-breaking Abstracts https://t.co/vjzYlqOTC1
@AACR American Association for Cancer Research: #AACR16 Abstracts https://t.co/2sZ6G7QveL
@ASCO American Society of Clinical Oncology: #ASCO16 abstracts https://t.co/3vruaogIUV
"Roundup of #OvarianCancer Abstracts From #SGOmtg on Women’s Cancer" https://t.co/7z5UlcDx17 via @ascopost
@ocrfa statement on GOG 252 https://t.co/XTjyzfOpw9
key abstracts at #ASCO16 Gyn Onc at ASCO 2016: Ovarian Cancer https://t.co/t1krzp6ymx via @YouTube
Abstracts #ASCO16 Gyn Onc at ASCO 2016: Cervical Cancer https://t.co/780LCAOh72 via @YouTube
abstract review from #ASCO16 - Gyn Onc at ASCO 2016: Endometrial Cancer https://t.co/Dsh7AdyArv via @YouTube
exercise and neuropathy: https://t.co/LZwUSbWVAi
Engaging participants as partners in research - Workshop Storify https://t.co/RrRVpndnQd via @stanfordmedx
researchers going directly to metastatic breast cancer patients. https://t.co/iV2dnxfzIY?